I tried out this Veggie Vindaloo recently - absolutely delicious! I substituted the spinach for collard greens.
- 1 zucchini, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 bag (250 grams) fresh spinach, washed and stems removed
- 1 tablespoon oil
for the Vindaloo sauce:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- splash vinegar
To make the vindaloo sauce:
- Place the ingredients for the sauce in a blender and puree together.
- Season to taste with additional, salt, chillies, or garam masala.
To make the veggies:
- Using a large frying pan, lightly saute the zucchini and cauliflower in the oil.
- When they begin to soften, add the vindaloo sauce.
- Add the chickpeas and mix well.
- Season to taste with additional, salt, pepper garam masala or chillies.
- Just before serving, add the spinach leaves and allow them to wild.
- Serve over white rice.